Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Social Network: The Mark Zuckerberg Story



So, I went and saw the Social Network some what reluctantly. I thought it looked boring, but I was wrong (yes I know it's the end of the world I'm finally adnmitting I'm wrong). I thought to myself "Is the creator of Facebook an asshole?"

I think that Mark Zuckerberg was portrayed in a negative light, however, I think the audience still wanted him to succeed. The opening scene of the film portrays Zuckerberg being very rude and selfish during a conversation with his girlfriend. His girlfriend gets angry breaks up with him and says something along the lines of “You’re going to go through life thinking girls don’t like you because you’re a tech geek. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won’t be true. It’ll be because you’re an asshole.” Instantly the audience doesn’t like Zuckerberg, but as the film progresses and other characters are introduced you begin to feel sorry for Zuckerberg.  It makes the audience think maybe deep down underneath his rude exterior Zuckerberg is a nice guy with a brilliant idea. The film shows all the negative things Zuckerberg has done (for example betray his best friend), but yet it still portrays Zuckerberg as the creator of the idea Facebook and his passion for succeeding.
I think the impact of this film has had a positive impact on Facebook, but I don’t think it has made it more popular. The reason why I think it has made a positive impact on the company is because it has drawn interest in Facebook as a story, not just as a website. I don’t think that necessarily means that Facebook will have more people joining the site, but the film has drawn more attention to the site. To me it seems as if it is the scenario of any attention is good attention even if it doesn’t make people hop on the bandwagon. I think the film just increases people’s knowledge of the topic and gives them a better idea of where it came from.
Mark Zuckerberg’s response to the film was basically to shrug it off and say that his life wasn’t really that dramatic and that the story is more fiction than fact.  He suggests that the movie is just fun and that people shouldn’t take it too seriously. Consequently this encourages audiences to do the same and believe that not every story you hear is true. The response from Zuckerberg and his PR team is smart because if the celebrity doesn’t care neither will the public. They will think “Hey cool I don’t know that” and forget about the film and consequently continue with their lives, instead of saying “wow, that Mark Zuckerberg guy is a huge A-hole”. I also think the film wasn’t as cut and dry as Zuckerberg being a bad guy or not. It’s a lot of grey, Zuckerberg is a bad guy, but with a really good idea that made a lot of people want a piece of (it’s as if yes Zuckerberg is a bad guy, but everyone else is too). So was it necessary for Zuckerberg to give the response he did? I think yes. It ties in with his personality and the film and it’s a great promotion tool. It makes the audience truly believe Zuckerberg is care free and doesn’t let the negative light bother him.  I think his reaction hasn’t altered the audience’s perception of him from the film because he reacted to the film the way the film would’ve portrayed his character. What I would recommend the PR team do differently is to not of made any donations to any charities immediately after the film was released because they should’ve just stuck with the “Shrug-it off technique”. Because it doesn’t matter if film is fact or fiction it’s all about people’s perceptions. If people liked Zuckerburg or didn’t after the film, Zuckerberg should just keep trying to be himself and leave it at that.
The ending scene of the film shows Zuckerberg this time with another female that says to him “You’re not an asshole Mark. You just want to be.”
Sources:
http://wiscreenwritersforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Social-Network-The-by-Aaron-Sorkin-May-28-2009.pdf

1 comment:

  1. I guess I am a bit jaded...I did not think he was too differet from alot of guys running around...Meh, just reminded me how much of a loser I am for still not knowing my way around a Mac when this guys pretty much demolishes and builds peoples lives through the site he created!

    ReplyDelete